Sunday, January 27, 2008

Purdy Door

This weekend, while in the city with Hope, I went out for a walk in the Historical District. I've wanted to do this for a few weeks now and with fresh snow lending to the mood I had envisioned, I went for it. I took about 200 some shots while trying quite hard to understand MeRa Koh's definition of aperture, and not quite getting it(Tho, I think I was confused because my "Digital Photography for Dummies" book said the opposite.). In the end I was able to kind of understand it.(Bigger number in f-stop the brighter the shot, usually anyway. Still not too sure why this isn't true all the time, but maybe next weekend I'll try and figure it out again.)
So of the 200 trial and error shots, I kept maybe half. The one above was my first shot. The description of which, as found on the Glessner House Museum website, is below.

Purdy House: 213 E. Cullerton Street

Architect: Thomas & Rapp, Built: 1891

The original house on this site, built about 1870, would have matched the surviving Italianate rowhouse next door at 215. In 1891, Dr. Charles W. Purdy, house physician at the Auditorium Hotel, hired the firm of Thomas & Rapp to rebuild the house in the Renaissance Revival style. (The same firm was hired the following year to rebuild the third rowhouse at 217 E. Cullerton for John Clark). One of the most striking features of the four-story home is the large polygonal oriel, which occupies the center of the second story. A prominent overhanging cornice is embellished with brackets, egg-and-dart trim and dentils. The interior has been extensively restored by the current owner, and reflects the finely scaled detailing evident on the façade. An entry hall and service areas occupy the ground level, with the main public rooms located on the second story, providing privacy from people passing on the sidewalk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fine first shot, Hadassah. I like the angle from which you shot the door. This is much more interesting than a straight on rectangle would be. It is a very interesting looking place. Thanks for the informative comment.

Matt said...

I lived in this house for part of 1998. That door is newer.