Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bare Truths: Embracing the Process

Totally appreciated Julia's post, on Justin and Mary's blog Monday afternoon. So much so, that I commented( yes, sadly, i too am a blog lurker...*blush*).

My comment:
I often have those grey days.. mostly because I am still a student and I have so much more to learn, I look back at all the work I've done and try to compare them to the work of people like J&M and continue to fall short. Thanks for reminding me that better days!! are yet to come, this too shall pass, and letting me know I'm not the only one (i need that reminder, often). Congrats on the feature! You deserve it!
This is something I need to work on this year. I need to have more confidence in myself and my capabilities. Jessica Strickland started the work in her comment on my last Bare Truths post. Her reassurance was received at one of the most pivotal moments in my year. It was mid-semester and I was at that mid-sem breaking point, where I feel like all my professors think my work is safe and insignificant... yeah.. What I appreciated most about Jess's comment was that she leveled with me and told me that she has been there. This is the point where I think blogs (and the teachers!!!) these days are lacking.

Maybe I am just one to talk because I admit I don't read blogs as often as I used to, but so often, I feel like I read about this "great wedding" and that "amazing shoot", and about the "OMG! I've been featured in [Insert High End Wedding Magazine Here]!" While I love to hear these stories because they confirm that these photographers I follow are actually recognized for the talent that even I can see they have, there are those days where, forgive me, but I totally hate reading them because they make me feel inferior. They almost alienate those of us who aren't there yet, who aren't important enough yet. Though I guess that happens mostly on those "grey days" that Julia was talking about, still, I'd like to know that these people I follow are still just as human as I am.

I believe that, while our blogs are about(and should be about) our successes, they should also be about our doubts and failures because, after all, we are only human.

So, I guess I've stumbled upon another 2011 resolution... Embracing the process.

I began to understand this concept during the CreativeLive Jasmine Star workshop this summer. I've only learned more and more about it in the months since, and I am now beginning to embrace the process of becoming great. I know I have a long way to go, but I am seeing progress, like that of my last post, and that is probably the most encouraging thing that I could ever have done. Just in the re-examination and re-edit of the Felty's photos, I noticed at least 8 errors, 7 errors of which I have already improved and only within a year's time! The last one, aperture control, will resolve itself with practice and growth of my artistic aesthetic. All this is a major encouragement to me, because I know that I'm on my way to being pretty good at what I do.

1 comment:

don said...

A very interesting narrative of the struggle to become.
I honestly think a developing photographer would be as well off by not looking at anything photographers are doing. Their vision is not your vision. Instead concentrate on mastering the techniques and and then trust that your own unique style will evolve as you continue to grow. "Great" is not a goal, I think it's a result and one the photographer cannot claim. It must be granted by others. This probably makes no sense at all Hadassah! :-) I wish you all the best. It's fun to see how rapidly you are progressing!